Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer Vacation 2010 Part Three

Monday's adventures included the Lost River and the Kancamagus highway. Our rental was close to the beginning of the highway so we got to see quite a bit of the road, if not the whole official highway. Mike tried to interest the kids in the scenery. Which prompted Zoe's comment about mountains being nature's skyscrapers.

I had been unsure of the Lost River caves. The path is only about 3/4 mile long but is over 300 vertical feet down and then 300 back up. Ryan's desire to walk is always minimal. However we all enjoyed it, far more then I would have guessed. Zoe and I did all of the walk except the famous lemon squeezer. They have a wooden structure the exact dimensions of the rock opening and you are not allowed to try it unless you can get through the wood one. Zoe got through without a problem and I did too after figuring out how to contort myself [feet first then turn sideways and push yourself through with your hands behind you!] Zoe got nervous and turned around before I got to try which was okay by me.

Here is a picture of the kids inside one of the "caves" with a opening above:

Most of the way through Ryan needed a potty so he and Mike went ahead. Zo and I finished then headed back to the main buildings. I got this snap outside the gift shop:

On the way home we took a break at a lookout on the Kancamagus Highway. For whatever reason we had binoculars in the van.


That was a full enough day and the kids declared Tuesday a "stay at home" day. So we beached it. I don't think I necessarily have the right beach pictures for the right day but whateva. The munchkins loved it when I took them out in the canoe.
And played nicely one the beach. After being kicked out of the water for unruly play of course.


A popular activity that Mom tried hard to avoid because she sucks at it was baseball in the side yard of the 'vacation home.'



Mike is a popular teammate because he can pitch AND catch. Unlike moi.

Our day at Santa's Village pictures can be seen here. Included are a few pictures from Mt Washington. That little jaunt was more than we bargained for. The Quest doesn't shift into first gear at all. Lowest was 2nd which help the engine at a roaring 40mph. Too fast. And thus our breaks started to smoke. Being the last ones on the mountain, the sweeper ranger was following us down and at a pullout she asked told the kids and I to get in her van to lighten the work on the van. We had to stop a few times during the 8 mile drive down but we all got down safely, and with many mutterings under my breath, all hoped back into our van and waved goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment