Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"What is nature?"



Zoe and I are working through what summer vacation means to each of us. She is used to having fun things scheduled for the majority of the day. I am used to putzing my way through the day and not worrying too much about what is done when. Together neither one of us is thrilled.

So today despite the dark dark clouds, the yawning from staying up until 1am and getting up at 8am, protests for the lack of 'fun things' I decided we must go do. Do something.

I had gotten a call from MOPS to make a dinner for a new mom. I had thought about saying no because I don't go to MOPS anymore but figured it was no worries to do it. Zoe helped and enjoyed see the new baby when we dropped off the food. We took the kids bikes with us but ultimately decided that there wasn't enough time before Peggy arrived.

At the end of the street are some docks and a walking path into the back of Beaver Island State Park. We went down and sat on the docks checking out the lily pads and looking for fishies. That worked for a while until some kids with real fishing poles wanted to share the dock. Ryan is not conducive to fishing.

So off for a 'nature walk' down the path into the park. It is kinda a neat path just barely hidden from the golf course and with the water peaking through trees. Lots of birds. Tons of frogs [toads?] and even a bunny rabbit. Neither kid saw the bunny because Zoe was complaining there were not benches at the trail end to watch the birds and Ryan was begging to be picked up because he was scared. At one point Ryan asked what is nature and also what does it mean to be brave. Zo had told him he was brave to walk down the path. Thanks a lot Zibby!



1 comment: