Sunday, June 7, 2009

She's lost those pesky little wheels

One of the books we have from the library about Disney is written to kids from kids. In it they suggest taking long walks to get ready for your visit. Zoe is very taken with this idea. She and Mike came up with a plan to walk to Kaegebein and Ry & I would bring bikes and meet them there. And if Ry wanted he could ride home. It is 1.8 miles each way. Ryan didn't like this plan. So the three of them set off. Part way there, Ryan didn't want to walk. So I swooped in and dropped off his bike. Zoe was crabby about her bike being set up with petals and no training wheels. Waaay crabby. Finally we all met at the school and played for a while.

Then we tried suggesting to Zo to try. Just try. She said, "I don't want to try anything I can do right." Geesh. Bribery seemed the only way to go from there. If she tried, really really tried, no matter how she did we could go for an creamy. No idea why but she decided to try. Maybe because it was 75 and 100% humidity and she'd finished her water bottle?

The fields at the school are very flat. I started her on the grass and ran along for a bit holding on with both hands. One on the handlebar and one on her back. Then I let go of the handlebars. And then her shirt and she took off! So fast. Almost too fast because she forgot about her brakes.

After practicing a bit on the grass, Mike took Zoe across the fields while Ryan and I went straight for the bike path. We made it to the corner first and ran over to take pictures. Only to find the camera battery dead. Never charged it after Memorial Day. Cell phone camera to the rescue. [BTW, I then learned a new skill, how to get pictures OFF the camera and onto the blog.]

Go Zoe Go Zoe! Lots of cheering from everyone. She decided she was willing to try on the bike path pavement to get home. So off we went. About half way she fell. We got her back up on the bike still sobbing - no skin was broken in this experiement. She rode all the way home except the last little bit on East River. She was scared of the traffic and was a bit nerve wracking to think about. She rides very wobbly, zig and zagging. Worrisome with little Ryman who rides very straight on his training wheels. Mike pushed the bike for the last bit and we all arrived home in one piece!

After the reward creamy run we stopped back at the school for the unneeded rescue van.

Yay Zoe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment