Many of you know the gist of what has happened over the last two weeks but I felt I should write it out for several reasons. I don't journal or write in a diary or do baby books. And while dwelling on what's going on isn't great I need a place to write it out.
On Wednesday, January 5th during the afternoon I started to have severe vertigo that wasn't like any other dizzy/"Sarah tipping" event I'd ever had. I laid down for a while and it persisted. And then in the early evening I started to have cramps in my lower abdomen. I gave in and called the oncall OB. She said it was hard to tell what was going on over the phone and I should go to L&D at Sister's to be checked out. Which we did. That was an adventure, never been there, locked front door, ER under construction, odd parking etc. After a few hours, lots of tests and a liter of fluid, it was decided my new glasses were to blame for it all. And we were sent home with a follow up appt with the OB for the following Wednesday. The vertigo subsided over the next few days and I wasn't concerned about anything.
Mike was busy and I headed into the OB's office by myself. I was supposed to see an NP I don't think I've met before but she called in and I was moved over to my favorite NP Cheryl's calendar for an 11am appt. We talked about my glasses and reviewed the report from L&D. Routine stuff. Then at the very end of the visit she listened to the babe's HR on doppler. Which should have been 120-140, maybe 150. It was so fast we couldn't count. Cheryl just stopped and said 'You're going on the monitor." Which I had to wait 20mins for because someone else had just gone on. Still not too concerned.....but the monitor showed 236-240. Even after repositioning it make sure it was an accurate reading. I was taken off after just a few mins and told to go straight to L&D. Mike called to check in and Cheryl handed me my phone saying "You need to talk to him."
I drove down to Sisters while it was snowing hard. I wasn't quite sure of how best to get there but when I used Ms. Garmin she wanted me to go almost all highway. Deciding that wasn't my favorite choice, just in case, I went a longer way on surface roads. I think I hit every single red light down Main St! Rushing didn't help me either. The hospital was having a mini baby boom and had, at 1pm, already done 3x as many c-section deliveries than they normal do in a day. There wasn't a triage room or a labor room available to check me out. After about 40mins, I was brought back into the recovery room [for c-sections] and given a curtained area. This was about 1:30 by then. Got hooked up to the monitor and all was well. For hours and hours.
It was decided I should be checked by the perinatologist before deciding what to do with me. He took me up to his office with the better ultrasound machine and checked the baby's measurements and heart structure. All looked great. But he decided I should stay overnight on the monitor anyway. Back down to L&D and there was finally an empty room. My status was still vague but my nurse declared squatter's rights and gave it to me. I was happier in there - my own room and a much more comfy bed. Don't get me wrong it wasn't the best bed but better than the little-more-than-a-stretcher bed of the recovery room.
More later.......
No comments:
Post a Comment