Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day

I had been dreading this weekend. Three days without most of our activities and Mike planning on working. Thankfully he didn't end up working Sat or Sun.

I took a page out of the girl scout leader manual [figuratively of course] and planned many more things to do then was possible. But what is a momma to do when the things she wanted to do, aka things she thinks are fun, are the ones that get a pass?

We had to make cookies for the brownie meeting tomorrow. Zoe insisted on making gingerbread men. Which is fine except I forgot what a fussy dough my recipe makes. Zoe lost patience on her first pan. I had to finish while refereeing the dough turned playdough play at the other end of the table.

Then I had bought doily heart things to do homemade construction paper Valentine's this year. Zo likes her crafts and I remember having fun making them as children [for the first 10 anyway.] But nope. No go.

I had also called the Holiday Inn to assure pool availability. What kid doesn't want to go splash in an indoor kiddie pool? Or even the big pool with floaties? Mine. No go. I was told "the pool will be there another day."

So what did we do all day?

Zoe has discovered the humor in Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. So that was on. Twice.

Ryan drove his DJ car around my feet in the kitchen for 45 mins. Thank you Uncle Stuart. Love the music.

Zoe and Ryan destroyed the basement. But on a positive note, they found a missing toy piece. Then they begrudgingly cleaned up.

LONG bubble bath. Skipping hairwashing. Shhh...don't tell Mike. He is obsessed with clean hair.

Snacks. More snacks. Lunch. Snack. Nap. Snack.

By 5 I couldn't take the bickering anymore and kicked them outside. It wasn't anything that snow couldn't cure. The snow is getting deep enough Ryan is having trouble walking across the yard. Perhaps I'll dig out the snowshoes on my next day off.

Dinner.

More Monopoly. A quick call to Dad to confirm it is Red-ing Railroad not Read-ing Railroad.

Bedtime.

Frosting the dratted cookies.

Blogging and then bed as soon as cookies are packable.

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment